This "going green" crap is just about to do me in. The only thing turning green around here is my face. We (all of us are responsible for this) have taken a perfectly sensible call to action and devolved it into the same kind of lip-service motto as "The War on Drugs," "The War on Terror" and "No Child Left Behind."
My business just put out an announcement titled "Go Green in FY09."
"How exciting!" I thought. They're going to announce commuter incentives and let the rest of us work from home! Wrong. They're selling calendars. Paper calendars. On recycled paper. At this point, isn't "recyled paper" redundant? If it's paper, surely it's recycled, right? But I'm getting off track. PAPER CALENDARS. Probably made in China.
Last week I attended part of a talk on campus about carpooling and telecommuting options. I had to leave to keep from barfing on the speaker. The take-home message seemed to be: Oh yes, absolutely, we encourage you to carpool in our commuter vans and we allow telecommuting too. Aren't we great? We're Going Green everybody! Er... no... we don't actually have any vans that operate on a flexible work schedule. Er... no... you have to get 40 hours in one week, not 80 hours in two weeks. Er... no... we don't incentivize telecommuting in the departments in any way and our policies actually discourage it.
So there you have it. That's how my place of business is going green. By pushing paper calendars and touting slogans. What a sad charade.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
You gotta love doublespeak! It's so much fun to make it sound like you're being effective without putting forth any effort! Weee!
I have just now had a chance to read some of your blog and I intend to read it all from the beginning. Anyway, I hear ya sister on this corporate green crap. The only green big brother knows is money!
Post a Comment